This album illustrates the last major Imperial hunt at Belovezha in 1912.
Known as Belavezhskaya-Pushcha, this ancient forest is located in the border region spanning Belarus and Poland. It is one of the largest remaining parts of the immense primeval forest which once spread across the European plain and is the only remaining native habitat of the European bison.
A Royal hunting ground from the 14th century, it became the hunting reserve of the Romanov family, who built the lodge (completely destroyed during the second world war, apart from the stables) where Imperial hunts where frequently organized. The last photograph depicts the famous monument of a bison, commemorating the hunt of Tsar Alexander II on the 6th and 7th of October 1860, when the Emperor shot 10 bison, 2 elk, 10 goats, 8 gazelles, 5 wolves, 5 foxes and one badger.