From the artist to Sol Mindlin;
by bequest to a private collection;
Christie's, New York, April 23, 2007, lot 197.
A dynamic, sophisticated and dazzling representation of Richard Avedon's mastery during his years documenting the Paris couture collections for Harper's Bazaar.
Avedon, Avedon Photographs 1947-1977, Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 1978, pls. 3, 5-6, 10-11, 14-15, 25, 38, 44.
Post Lot Text
1. Elise Daniels, Turban by Paulette, Pré-Catelan, Paris, August, 1948
2. Elise Daniels with Street Performers, Suit by Balenciaga, Les Marais, Paris, August 1948
3. Dorian Leigh, Coat by Dior, Avenue Montaigne, Paris, August 1949
4. Dorian Leigh, Evening dress by Piguet, Helena Rubinstein apartment, Ile St.-Louis, Paris, August 1949
5. Dorian Leigh, Schiaparelli rhinestones, Pré-Catelan, Paris, August 1949
6. Renée, The New Look of Dior, Place de la Concorde, Paris, August 1949
7. Marlene Dietrich, Turban by Dior, The Ritz, Paris, August 1955
8. Sunny Harnett, Evening dress by Grès, Casino, Le Touquet, August 1954
9. Suzy Parker, Evening dress by Lanvin-Castillo, Café des Beaux Arts, Paris, August 1956
10. Carmen (Homage to Munkacsi), Coat by Cardin, Place Françoise Premier, Paris, August 1957
11. Suzy Parker and Robin Tattersall, Evening dress by Griffe, Folies-Bergère, Paris, August 1957