The bronze effigy is of the model for a marble monument to Prince Francis Albert Augustus Charles Emanuel of Saxe Coburg Gotha Prince Consort (d.1861) that formed the centrepiece of Queen Victoria's granite Mausoleum designed by the Prince's former art adviser Ludwig Gruner (d.1882) and erected under the Queen's direction at Frogmore House, Windsor between 1862 and 1871. The effigy, conceived in conjunction with one intended for the Queen (d.1901), was executed by the Turin-born court sculptor Baron Carlo Marochetti (d.1867), who had established a London studio in 1848. This bronze was cast by the Birmingham Company of founders established by George Richards Elkington and his cousin Henry Elkington.
The firm also executed a bronze of Marochetti's model for the statue of the Prince Consort that was erected in Glasgow. See Property of HRH. The Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester KG, KT, KP, Christie's King Street 26-27 January 2006, lot 329; see also A. Dawson, Portrait Sculpture, A Catalogue of the British Museum Collection, London, 1999.