Jules Coutan (d. 1939) awarded the Prix de Rome in 1871. Exhibiting at the 1889 Exposition Universelle, he then became director of the Manufacture de Svres from 1891 to 1894 before entering the Acadmie des Beaux-Arts in 1900. The town of Paris commissioned a variety of different sculptures from him for the Palais de Justice, the Htel de Ville and the Bibliothque Nationale. Several of his allegorical figures have been reduced and cast in bronze, sometimes in different sizes, such as Renomme, La Paix Arme or La Danse.
A verdigris patinated 34 inch high bronze of the same model sold Christie's 'The Secret Courtyard, The Seago Collection' 9 June 1999, lot 284 £54,000.