The present figurine is a copy of the silver-gilt Shrine of Saint Gertrude in Nivelles, completed circa 1272-97. It was destroyed almost completely during World War II. It is discussed and reproduced by P. Bloch in 'Historische Kopien und neuzeitliche Fälschungen mittelalterlicher Bronzen', in the exhibition catalogue Ex aere solido: Bronzen von der Antike bis zur Gegenwart, Berlin, 1983, p. 295 and in the exhibition Schatz aus den Trümmern: Der Silberschrein von Nivelles und die europäische Hochgotik, Cologne, 1995-96, pp. 188-89. It has been suggested this figure is the work of Luigi Francesco Parmeggiano (1860-1932) as he made similar copies, often with the intent to deceive.