The sculptor Domenico Brucciani (b. 1815) opened workshops in Covent Garden in the late 1830s and was celebrated for his 'Galleria' in the 1860s. Apart from the supply of plaster casts, he also provided models for Messrs. Elkington and Co.'s electrotypes. In 1922 the Brucciani Company's moulds were taken over by the Board of Education through the Victoria & Albert Museum, London.
The present lot is a cast after the alabaster effigy in Westminster Abbey by Cornelius and William Cure, circa 1606-1616 (cf. National Portrait Gallery, no. 307).