• Christies auction house James Christie logo

    Sale 2811

    European Noble and Private Collections

    24 - 25 June 2008, Amsterdam

  • Lot 764 A

    AN EQUESTRIAN GROUP OF FREDERICK WILLIAM ELECTOR OF BRANDENBURG

    CAST BY GLADENBECK AFTER THE REDUCTION OF SCHLÜTER'S ORIGINAL MODEL BY AUFGUST W. UHLMANN, BERLIN, THIRD QUARTER 19TH CENTURY

    Price Realised  

    AN EQUESTRIAN GROUP OF FREDERICK WILLIAM ELECTOR OF BRANDENBURG
    CAST BY GLADENBECK AFTER THE REDUCTION OF SCHLÜTER'S ORIGINAL MODEL BY AUFGUST W. UHLMANN, BERLIN, THIRD QUARTER 19TH CENTURY
    The great elector seated on horseback, set on an oval soccle with chained slaves to the base, on a stepped plinth base, losses and damages
    91 cm. high overall


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    Andreas Schlüter (1659-1714) was the most important sculptor architect working in North-Eastern Europe around 1700. Under the patronage of Elector Frederick III of Brandenburg, later Frederick I of Prussia, Schlüter was summoned to Berlin to become co-director of the Akademie der Künste in 1694. He remained in Berlin untill 1713. the last year of his life was spent in St Petersburg working for Peter the great on various projects mainly around the Peterhof.

    The original monument of Frederick William the 'Great Elector' was one of the most important comissions Schlüter received from frederick III. It now stands in front of the Charlottenburg, Berlin. Schlüter started work on this comission in 1696, the bronze was cast in one piece in 1700 by Johann Jacobi (1661-1726) and erected in 1703 in the centre of the Lange Brücke next to the Königliches Schloss, echoing the Pont Neuf in Paris. It was the first large equestrian public monument erected in Germany and it was much admired, drawing comparisons to the famous equestrian groups of Marcus Aurelius in Rome and that of Louis XIV by Francois Girardon in Paris.
    The first reduction by Kiss, was cast in iron by the Royal Iron foundry Gleiwitz in 1828.
    See: P. Bloch, et. al. Ethos und Pathos Berlin 1990, pp. 142 & 143; Auch die Quuen war begeistert, Sabine Spindler, Weltkunst, vol 12, 2005, pp. 56-60.

    Special Notice

    Christie’s charges a premium to the buyer on the Hammer Price of each lot sold at the following rates: 29.75% of the Hammer Price of each lot up to and including €20,000, plus 23.8% of the Hammer Price between €20,001 and €800.000, plus 14.28% of any amount in excess of €800.000. Buyer’s premium is calculated on the basis of each lot individually.