The Lefevre Gallery (Alex. Reid & Lefevre, Ltd.), London.
Acquired from the above by the late owners, 1954.
Property from the Collection of William and Eleanor Wood Prince, Chicago, Illinois
Throughout much of the latter 20th century, William and Eleanor Wood Prince were well known philanthropists, art collectors and patrons in the overlapping cultural and artistic circles of Chicago.
Born into an art-collecting family in Cincinnati, Ohio, the former Eleanor Edwards grew up surrounded by superb examples of Old Master Paintings, Impressionist & Modern Art, American pictures and other masterworks from various categories.
Following her marriage to William Wood Prince, the couple built upon this inherited foundation by purchase and commission. Joining their twin passions, many works betray an interest in French culture or all things equestrian. Perhaps unusually for the period, their taste was eclectic in the sense that their acquisitions not only built upon the inherited Edwards collection, but also explored the art of their time, resulting in the purchase of marvelous works by Louis LeBrocquy, David Hockney and, most notably, Marc Chagall. The Wood Princes' long and close friendship with Chagall resulted in a monumental mural in downtown Chicago, a fantastic gift to the city that endures as a tangible testament to both their appreciation for the avant garde and their great fondness for the Second City. Other local institutions that benefited from their interest and support included The Art Institute of Chicago, the Lyric Opera, Northwestern Memorial Hospital and the Alliance Francaise.
Christie's is delighted and honored to be entrusted with the sale of Property from the Collection of William & Eleanor Wood Prince, which, in addition to the Hockney and LeBrocquy mentioned above, includes works by Chagall, Constable, Corot, Degas, Millet, Munnings and Turner, all of which are being offered this season.
J. Rewald, Degas, Works in Sculpture, A Complete Catalogue, New York, 1944, p. 19, no. II (another cast illustrated, p. 35).
F. Russoli, L'opera completa di Degas, Milan, 1970, p. 142, no. S.42 (another cast illustrated, p. 143).
J. Lassaigne and F. Minervino, Tout l'oeuvre peint de Degas, Paris, 1974, p. 142, no. S42 (another cast illustrated, p. 143).
C.W. Millard, The Sculpture of Edgar Degas, Princeton, 1976, p. IX, no. 9 (another cast illustrated).
J. Rewald, Degas's Complete Sculpture, Catalogue Raisonné, San Francisco, 1990, p. 46, no. II (wax version illustrated, p. 46; another cast illustrated, p. 47).
S. Campbell, "Degas, The Sculptures, A Catalogue Raisonné," Apollo, August 1995, vol. CXLII, no. 402, p. 17, no. 13 (another cast illustrated).
J.S. Czestochowski and A. Pingeot, Degas Sculptures, Catalogue Raisonné of the Bronzes, Memphis, 2002, p. 147, no. 13 (another cast illustrated; another cast illustrated in color, p. 146).
The Art Institute of Chicago, Degas in The Art Institute of Chicago, July-September 1984, no. S.4 (dated circa 1868-1870).