• First Open | Post-War and Cont auction at Christies

    Sale 12724

    First Open | Post-War and Contemporary Art | London

    29 September 2016, London, South Kensington

  • Lot 7

    Fred Sandback (1943-2003)

    Violet Day-glo Corner Piece

    Price Realised  

    Fred Sandback (1943-2003)
    Violet Day-glo Corner Piece
    violet day-glo acrylic on 1/32" elastic cord and spring steel
    36 x 6 x 1/2in. (91.5 x 15.2 x 1.2cm.)
    Executed in 1968, this work is number seventeen from an edition of twenty-five plus three artist's proofs and one exhibition proof


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    Contact the department

    ‘[My work] doesn’t take over a space, but rather coexists with it’ F. Sandback

    Executed in 1968, Fred Sandback’s Violet Day-glo Corner Piece is an elegant elastic cord sculpture from the artist’s early oeuvre. Designed specifically to occupy the corners of a room, the work demonstrates Sandback’s ability to delineate and bifurcate interior space through an extraordinary economy of means. Executed in a variety of Day-glo hues, using exceptionally thin strands of cord and stainless steel, the Corner Pieces describe volumes that are potentially limitless, subject to as many variations as there are angles from which to view the sculpture. In doing so, these works make visible the volume that is traditionally hidden inside a sculpture, and render immaterial surfaces that would previously be tangible. ‘Surfaces seem to imply that what’s interesting is either in front of them or behind them’, the artist explains. ‘Interiors are elusive. You can’t ever see an interior’ (F. Sandback, quoted in Fred Sandback, Munich 1975, pp. 11-12). Often cited as a forerunner of installation art, Sandback toys with our spatial awareness by highlighting the invisible volumes and densities that silently constitute the areas we inhabit.

    Provenance

    Galerie Erhard Klein, Bonn.
    Acquired from the above by the present owner in 1977.


    Post Lot Text

    The work is accompanied by a certificate of authenticity signed by the artist.