• Christies auction house James Christie logo

    Sale 12145

    Impressionist & Modern Art Evening Sale

    16 November 2016, New York, Rockefeller Plaza

  • Lot 10 B

    Henri Matisse (1869-1954)

    Fillette debout, bras le long du corps

    Price Realised  

    Estimate

    Henri Matisse (1869-1954)
    Fillette debout, bras le long du corps
    signed and numbered 'Henri Matisse 1/10' (on the lower right side); inscribed with foundry mark 'A. Bingen. Costenoble Fondeurs. Paris.' (on the lower left side)
    bronze with brown patina
    Height: 19 in. (48.3 cm.)
    Conceived in Collioure, 1906 and cast circa 1908


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    The present work is being offered for sale pursuant to a settlement agreement between Harry W. and Mary Margaret Anderson, and the heirs of Oskar and Greta Moll. This resolves any dispute over ownership of the work and title will pass to the buyer.

    Matisse modeled Fillette debout at Collioure during the summer of 1906, an intensely fruitful period in which he experimented freely in both painting and sculpture, testing a number of stylistic options in search of a new direction for his art. With its subtle anatomical distortions, hieratic frontality, and melancholic, almost elegiac mood, this compelling figurine departs radically from the more naturalistic mode that Matisse had employed in earlier sculptures and provides a powerful index of his intensified interest in primitive and archaic art, which would prove key in his journey from Fauvism to decorative abstraction. The model for the sculpture was Matisse’s daughter Marguerite, who was nearing twelve years old that summer. During the day, clad in a red dress with a pleated yoke collar, her hair loose around her shoulders, she sat patiently for the painting Marguerite lisant; when the light failed, she pinned her hair up in a loose bun and posed for Fillette debout, her hands resting demurely on her thighs. “Though modeled after Marguerite, Standing Nude is hardly a portrait,” Michael Mezzatesta has written. “For the first time in Matisse’s sculpture, a bronze assumed the status of a totem or icon” (Henri Matisse, Sculptor/Painter, exh. cat., Kimbell Art Museum, Fort Worth, 1984, p. 57).
    The months before he embarked upon this second sojourn at Collioure had been exceptionally eventful for Matisse. The artist’s mounting reputation as the leader of the newly-christened Fauves, whose art had provoked a critical furor at the Salon d’Automne in 1905, brought about a sea change in his fortunes. The American expatriates Leo and Gertrude Stein, among the most daring and perceptive collectors of modern art in Paris, purchased Matisse’s incendiary Fauve portrait of his wife at the Salon for the asking price. In the spring, the enterprising dealer Eugène Druet gave Matisse the second one-man exhibition of his career and also paid 2000 francs for a stock of his latest work; competition stirred Ambroise Vollard to snap up several paintings as well. At the Salon des Indépendants in 1906, Matisse again contributed the show’s greatest succès de scandale–the monumental Bonheur de vivre, his sole submission. Less than a week after the exhibition closed, the artist left Paris, traveling first to Algeria for two weeks and then settling at Collioure for the season.
    When Matisse began work on Fillette debout, the lessons of African sculpture–which he had first admired earlier that year at a curio shop called Chez le Père Sauvage–were at the forefront of his mind. Borrowing from the exaggerations and embellishments of tribal figurines that he had seen, he elongated the neck and torso of his sculpture of Marguerite and shortened and thickened the thighs; he gave the figurine an unexpectedly heavy coiffure, swelling breasts, projecting buttocks, and a pronounced roundness in the belly. These distortions imbue the sculpture with a new plastic and expressionist vigor, anticipating in a quiet way the more brutal deformations of Nu couché I (Aurore), 1907 and Figure decorative, 1908. The figure is no longer recognizable as an individual sitter; Matisse has overlaid Marguerite’s pre-adolescent form with a pronounced womanliness, which contrasts with the chaste, decorous pose to produce a powerful physical tension. The still, symmetrical stance of the figure–shoulders back, arms at the sides, hips level, and feet together, with only a slight turn of the head to disrupt the calm equilibrium–underscores its non-naturalistic conception, evoking the frontal posture and elegant formalism of archaic Greek korai, for example, or Amarna-period statuary.
    “Sculpture once again became a testing ground,” Hilary Spurling has written. “Everything about the little figure of his daughter–its symmetrical stance, large head, long arms, short legs, prominent buttocks and belly–suggests how fast Matisse was moving away from anatomical construction towards the radical reinvention of the human body that impressed him in African or Egyptian sculpture” (op. cit., 1998, p. 363).
    Pleased with the results of these audacious sculptural experiments, Matisse included a plaster cast of Fillette debout in a major still-life he later painted the same summer at Collioure, in which the studio is presented as a space of self-reflexive creativity. Set atop a table spread with a red rug, the sculpture is accompanied by a selection of fruits and two ceramic bowls that Matisse had brought back from Algeria; his painting Fleurs from the same year serves as a backdrop, closing off access to the space beyond. Rendered in tactile white impasto, the plaster statuette provides a solid, defining presence within the flattened, almost abstract eruption of color that surrounds it. Sandwiched between the actual picture plane and the represented canvas in the background, the resolutely material sculpture emphasizes the tension between surface and depth, color and space, artifice and illusion that Matisse was persistently exploring in his painting during this period.
    In the ensuing months, as Matisse moved rapidly toward the style of decorative abstraction that would consolidate his position as the leader of the avant-garde (albeit with Picasso close at his heels), he continued to hold Fillette debout in high esteem. Recognizing the enduring relevance of the statuette’s figural distortions and conceptual (as opposed to naturalistic) underpinnings, he enlisted the foundry Bingen et Costenoble to produce the first two bronze casts of the sculpture in 1908; the present lot, numbered "1/10", is one of these important early bronzes. In the fall of the same year, exercising his right as a jury member to unlimited showing at the Salon d’Automne, Matisse exhibited an imposing group of thirty paintings, drawings, and sculptures, among them Fillette debout. In presenting such a large number of works, which echoed the retrospectives that Cézanne, Renoir, and Gauguin had received at the Salon d’Automne in recent years, Matisse was in effect proclaiming his position as a major modern master.
    Shortly after the Salon d’Automne, if not before, the present cast of Fillette debout entered the collection of Oskar and Greta Moll–among the ten inaugural students of Matisse’s academy, short-lived but now legendary, and vigorous backers of his increasingly radical work. It is possible that it was this cast of the sculpture that Matisse included in his one-man show at Paul Cassirer’s gallery in December 1908, traveling to Berlin to oversee the installation and remaining to spend Christmas with the Molls. When the Cassirer show met with a largely hostile response, Greta Moll took up the charge of promoting Matisse’s reputation in Germany, translating his recent “Notes of a Painter”–one of the most important artist’s statements of the twentieth century–within weeks and publishing it in the widely circulated journal Kunst und Künstler.
    Oskar and Greta Moll, the former a painter and the latter a sculptor, had met Matisse in 1907, when they traveled to Paris for the Salon d’Automne. “Enveloped in a black sheepskin coat, turned wool side out, with a square-cut red beard, strong features, and large shining eyes–a sight you couldn’t over look–that was Henri Matisse,” Greta later recalled of her first glimpse of the artist (quoted in ibid., p. 402). The Molls’ friend Hans Purrmann took them to Matisse’s studio at 19, quai Saint-Michel, where they made their first purchases of his work–a foundation on which they would go on to build one of the finest Matisse collections of its time. Greta’s lively demeanor charmed Matisse (he could not believe she was out of her teens, although she was twenty-three in 1907), and the couple quickly became intimates of the artist and his family, sharing musical evenings and celebratory repasts with them.
    When Matisse decided to open a teaching academy in the Couvent des Oiseaux in January 1908, the Molls (along with Purrmann and Sarah Stein) were the very first to sign on, remaining in Paris for nearly the whole year to take instruction. Over the course of the spring and summer, Greta also sat long and patiently–ten times for three hours each, she reported in an invaluable account of Matisse’s working methods–for the artist to paint her portrait. Although she and Oskar were initially dismayed by the resolutely modern statement that Matisse produced in lieu of a more traditional likeness, they purchased the portrait for 1000 francs and soon came to appreciate its radically stylized, decorative rigor.

    Provenance

    Oskar and Greta Moll, Berlin, Germany and Brieg, Poland (possibly acquired from the artist and until circa January 1945 when it was buried in their garden in Poland upon flight from the approaching Red Army).
    Private collection.
    Madura, Warsaw (possibly Andrzej Madura).
    Roland, Browse & Delbanco Gallery, London (acquired from the above, December 1971).
    Feingarten Galleries, Los Angeles (acquired from the above).
    Harry W. and Mary Margaret Anderson (acquired from the above, June 1972).
    Restituted to the heirs of Oskar and Greta Moll, 2016.


    Pre-Lot Text

    EUROPEAN SCULPTURE FROM THE HARRY W. & MARY MARGARET ANDERSON COLLECTION

    The Anderson Collection stands as one of America’s most legendary assemblages of Post-War and Contemporary art, a peerless collection demonstrating over half a century of scholarship and dedication by Harry "Hunk" and Mary "Moo" Anderson. Inspired by a single visit to the Louvre Museum in the 1960s, the collection has come to encompass the very best in creative expression, providing a stimulating intellectual outlet for not just the Anderson family, but the countless students, scholars, and museum-goers who have benefitted from the Andersons’ profound generosity.
    Passionate and genuine, the Andersons have always valued the growth and vitality of their collection above any desire for renown or celebrity. “[The Andersons’] lack of formality,” writes Hilarie M. Sheets, “is just part of the disarming charm that has won the couple close relationships with artists, dealers and academics.” Hunk Anderson put it his own way: “Big ‘A’ for art, little ‘a’ for Anderson.” Yet in building one of the world’s finest collections of American art, the couple have solidified their place as connoisseurs of the highest caliber, living a self-described “journey to the new” that continues to this day.
    A COLLECTION’S GENESIS
    The extraordinary collection for which the Andersons are celebrated was, in truth, born by chance, during a fortuitous 1964 trip to Europe. In Paris, what was meant to be a half-day visit to the Louvre Museum became an unexpected two-day dialogue with fine art. “Something came over us in the Louvre,” Hunk Anderson later recalled. “We felt for the first time the beauty and excitement of the world of art and had to be a part of it.”
    Upon their return from Paris, the Andersons discussed putting together a collection of world-class art. They agreed to acquire a few Impressionist and Post-Impressionist works. Among their first purchases were pictures by Monet, Pissarro, Renoir, Picasso, and others. As “the best of the best” was already held in museums, the couple shifted their focus to the Early Modernists, German Expressionists, and Early American Modernists, obtaining pictures by artists such as Hartley, Luks, Rodin, O’Keeffe, Prendergast, and Sargent. It was not until Moo Anderson took another trip–this time to New York, in 1968–that the couple’s collection began to turn in a particular direction. With Mrs. Anderson’s New York purchase of Diebenkorn’s bound portfolio 41 Etchings, Drypoints, the couple’s fascination with American Contemporary art solidified.
    FOCUS ON THE BEST
    In turning to the art of their own time, Hunk and Moo Anderson found a wealth of groundbreaking, informed work, often by living artists.
    The collectors sought out the best examples in periods and styles including Abstract Expressionism, Color Field Painting, Post-Minimalism, Pop, Bay Area Figurative art, and Contemporary abstract painting. In addition to leading artists such as Rothko, Gottlieb, Still, Pollock, Frankenthaler, and de Kooning, the Andersons acquired the work of California figures such as David Park, Jay DeFeo, Wayne Thiebaud, and Nathan Oliveira. “Balancing New York School artists with their West Coast contemporaries,” Sheets writes, “appealed to the Andersons as it reflected their own move from New York.”
    The Andersons believed that art should be a family affair, and their daughter Mary Patricia–affectionately known as "Putter"–grew up surrounded by the best in Contemporary art and culture. After art historian Barbara Rose visited the family’s home, she was stunned to find that “each room had a masterpiece in it.... Nothing in the house was meant to distract from the art, and each work was treated with the kind of respect that serious art deserves.”
    INSPIRING GENEROSITY
    Like other great collectors, Hunk and Moo Anderson strongly believe that they are merely “custodians” of a body of work that belongs to the world. To this end, they have devoted their efforts to showcasing the collection via private tours of their home, as well as through extraordinary bequests to museums and cultural institutions. As Moo Anderson has stated, “To enjoy art, I feel you must share it.” In 2011, the Andersons made headlines when they donated some 121 masterworks–anchored in the work of the New York School–to Stanford University. It is one of the most significant donations of fine art in American history, with star names such as Pollock, Rothko, Still, Kline, Thiebaud, Diebenkorn, Frankenthaler, and Celmins represented in a new permanent building housing the Anderson Collection. “It’s good to study art in books,” Hunk Anderson said of the Stanford bequest, “but something happens in the presence of the original–it affects the brain, taste, feelings, and more.”
    While the Stanford bequest has spurred the Andersons to see their home in a new way, the collectors have in more recent years embraced the work of younger, emerging artists. Unflagging in their dedication to cultural patronage, the Andersons’ charitable foundation also supports the visual arts in the Bay Area and the Western United States through its collection-sharing program, and provides support services to enhance creative initiatives across the nation. “It keeps us motivated,” Hunk Anderson said of the bequests. “It keeps us interested. It’s one of our hopes and desires that this is going to do the same for other people who are going to be able to see this collection.... I think it has had a direct influence over our relationships, as well as our longevity.”
    The depth and quality of the Anderson Collection is a testament to not only Hunk and Moo Anderson’s curatorial vision, but to the power of art in changing lives. A visit to the Louvre sparked an unexpected and heartfelt journey in collecting, the results of which are still celebrated across the United States and beyond. “Each painting has been an event in our lives,” Hunk Anderson remembered, “and luckily they’ve always been happy events.” Indeed, the spirit and joy of Hunk and Moo Anderson lives on in each work within the Anderson Collection, a tangible legacy that continues to inspire.

    EUROPEAN SCULPTURE FROM THE HARRY W. & MARY MARGARET ANDERSON COLLECTION


    Literature

    A.E. Elsen, "The Sculpture of Henri Matisse–Part II: Old Problems and New Possibilities" in Artforum, October 1968, vol. 7, p. 24 (another cast illustrated).
    A.E. Elsen, The Sculpture of Henri Matisse, New York, 1972, p. 64 (another cast illustrated, pls. 79-80).
    P. Schneider, "Matisse's Sculpture: The Invisible Revolution" in Art News, March 1972, vol. 71, p. 22.
    A.H. Barr, Jr., Matisse: His Art and His Public, London, 1975, p. 100 (another cast illustrated, p. 327).
    I. Monod-Fontaine, The Sculpture of Henri Matisse, London, 1984, p. 145, no. 17 (another cast illustrated).
    P. Schneider, Matisse, London, 1984, p. 541.
    N. Watkins, Matisse, New York, 1985, p. 82 (another cast illustrated, fig. 62).
    J. Flam, Matisse: The Man and His Art, Paris, 1986, p. 182, no. 173 (another cast illustrated).
    C. Duthuit, Henri Matisse: Catalogue raisonné de l'oeuvre sculpté, Paris, 1997, pp. 48, 50 and 312, no. 20 (another cast illustrated, pp. 48-49 and 51).
    H. Spurling, The Unknown Matisse: A Life of Henri Matisse, The Early Years, 1869-1908, New York, 1998, pp. 363-364 (another cast illustrated, p. 364).
    J. Fischer, "Paint the Town" in San Jose Mercury News, 7 October 2000, p. 1F (illustrated in color).
    P. Rowlands, “Double Feature” in ARTnews, November 2000, p. 179 (illustrated in color).


    Exhibited

    (possibly) Paris, Grand Palais des Champs-Elysées, Salon d'Automne: 6e Exposition, October-November 1908, p. 127, no. 911 (titled Jeune fille debout).
    (possibly) Berlin, Galerie Paul Cassirer, 1908-1909, no. 63.
    London, Hayward Gallery, The Sculpture of Henri Matisse, October 1984-January 1985, p. 145, no. 17 (illustrated).
    Los Angeles, University of California, In the Sculptor's Landscape: Celebrating 25 Years of the Franklin D. Murphy Sculpture Garden, March-June 1993.
    San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, Celebrating Modern Art: The Anderson Collection, October 2000-January 2001, pp. 255 and 375, no. 180 (illustrated in color, p. 267, pl. 150).