Prior to the promotion of Gunta Stölzl as master of the Bauhaus weaving workshop in March 1927, the creative output of the workshop had been characterised by improvisation. Stölzl brought with her a high degree of standardisation, both aesthetically, and also in the material processes. Conscious of the potential need to fulfill the machine-production requirements of industry, Stölzl encouraged a rigorous, mathematical and objective approach, that embraced the inclusion of new materials, such as cellophane, and consequently articulated an distinctly identifiable aesthetic. Although the designer of this weaving has not been identified, the formal composition, graduated and shaded tones, and use of cellophane, suggest that an attribution to Gunta Stölzl is plausible. The alumninium tag with the logo 'Bauhaus Dessau' was affixed to all fabrics leaving the Dessau Weaving Workshop.