The present watch is prominently illustrated and described in A. Lange & Söhne - eine Uhrmacher-Dynastie aus Dresden by Reinhard Meis, p. 212. It is furthermore listed in Die Lange Liste by Martin Huber, p. 100, chapter "1/2-Seconds-Chronometers" with and without power reserve. The balance oscillating at a rate of 14,400 half oscillations per hour, corresponding to a half jump of the second hand.
According to the listing, the watch was made with a so-called "Ni-Fe" or nickel-steel compensation balance and sold to the Hydrographisches Amt, Pola (Hydrographic Office of Pola, Istria, then in Austria-Hungaria) in 1912 for the amount of 280 Marks.
As of around 1880, A. Lange & Söhne produced small series of pocket watches with chronometer escapements. The first series were fitted with a chain fusée, the later ones, such as the present watch, with going barrels. Such pocket chronometers with going barrel and detent in the style of Louis Berthoud or Julius Grossmann were intended to be used as deck chronometers for scientific purposes.