Following the recommendations of his brother-in-law Ferdinand Adolph Lange, Julius Assmann founded his own watch manufacture in Glashütte in 1852. The firm produced watches with a variety of different case styles.
The present watch is a fine example of an elaboretly engraved case made in Glashütte, often following specific requests from their discerning clientele.
The most celebrated designer for such case decorations was Professor Graff. Cases engraved after his designs were the most elaborate and expensive versions available.
Professor Carl Ludwig Graff (1844-1906) was Privy Councillor to the Court, Director of the Royal Arts and Crafts Museum for Saxony, becoming Professor in 1879. His designs were mostly inspired by Renaissance architecture (arches with floral patterns) and literature (chimeras, courting birds, ram's heads, cornucopia with fruits, ribbons, wine leaves).