According to the Archives of Audemars Piguet, the present watch, number two of a limited edition of 3, was manufactured in 1996 and sold on 29 April 1996.
Part of the celebrated "John Shaeffer" series of complicated wristwatches in cushion-shaped cases, launched in the 1990s, it is cased in titanium which is more expensive but 40 percent lighter and more corrosion resistant than stainless steel. It is furthermore in excellent overall condition.
From 1906 until the 1920s, Audemars Piguet manufactured approximately thirty-five minute repeating wristwatches, including the cushion-shaped minute repeating wristwatch made for John Wallace Shaeffer, Vice President of the Allied Chemical Corporation, located in Morristown, New Jersey.
Sold at auction in 1989, this famous watch is presently in the collection of the Audemars Piguet Museum and served as inspiration for the firm's limited edition "John Shaeffer" series.