The present watch is part of a very small series of similar 2-day pocket chronometers, including three double-signed Arnold Frodsham, all made between 1856 and 1894. It was entered in Frodsham's stock in 1891, manufacturing cost 24 Pounds, 4 Shillings and 9 Pence, the movement was supplied by Preston on 5 April 1886, the case by George James Thickbroom on 29 June 1887.
Charles Frodsham (1810-1871) was a leading manufacturer of high-quality clocks, watches and chronometers and the last active member of a family that had played a prominent role in London clockmaking since the late 18th century. In 1840, he became a partner of John Roger Arnold who inherited his famous father's business.
At the Great Exhibition of 1851 in London, Frodsham exhibited a three quarter plate calibre signed with the letters "AD. FMSZ", a cryptogram for the year 1850. The code is formed by the numerical sequence of the letters in "Frodsham," with a "Z" for zero. The firm subsequently used the code for its most important timepieces.