The present watch is part of an exceedingly small series of the Invicta "Chrono Sport" single button chronograph. According to literature, less than 50 examples of this model were made in the 1930s, distinguished by the small 10 seconds chronograph dial with hand turning anti-clockwise and visible revolving 60 seconds register. The chronograph functions of the present watch are activated by a sliding button in the band.
Invicta, Latin for "invincible", was founded in 1837 in La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland by Raphael Picard who aimed to sell fine quality Swiss timepieces at affordable prices. The small manufacture remained in business until the arrival of quartz watches in the 1970s. Invicta was revived in 1991 by descendants of the Invicta family.
Other examples of the Invicta "Chrono Sport" model are described and illustrated in Armbanduhren - 100 Jahre Entwicklungsgeschichte by Kahlert, Mühe, Brunner, fifth edition, p. 338, pl. 1030-3032, and in Chronograph Wristwatches To Stop Time by Gerd-R. Lange and Reinhard Meis, p. 141, pl. 213-215.