The present timepiece can possibly be considered the world's oldest "new old stock" watch!
Legend has it that in the United Kingdom, at the end of World War II, in 1946, the Red Cross were collecting watches, jewellery and other small precious items to trade for money to aid their causes. Amongst the vast quantity of goods collected was a box full of watches signed Isaac Rogers, originally destined for the Ottoman Empire and undiscovered for over 100 years.
The present watch was part of this lot and is in addition to its nearly unused, like new condition still retaining Isaac Roger's original watch paper, highly unusual for a watch of its age as such papers would in general be exchanged by the following watchmaker servicing it.
The watch is furthermore delivered with a velvet-covered presentation box stamped J.C. Vickery, 179, 181, 183 Regent St., W., a famous retailer with Royal Warrant active at the end of 19th/beginning of 20th century.
The renowned watch and clockmaker Isaac Rogers specialized in watches for the Turkish market. He was warden of the Company of Watchmakers from 1810 to 12 and in 1823. The Worshipful Company of Clockmakers was founded by Royal charter in 1631 in order to regulate the crafts of watch and clock making. The Company, which is still in existence, had certain policing powers and actively sought out poorly made material, seizing and destroying it.