With Patek Philippe Extract from the Archives confirming production of the present watch with raised gold hour markers in 1946 and its subsequent sale on 11 January 1950.
This reference 1415 is from the second series of the celebrated model showing the names of 41 world locations as opposed to 28 of the earlier version. Consigned by an important private European collector it has never been offered in public before.
Reference 1415 was introduced in 1939 and remained in production until around 1954, its movement based on the well-established Patek Philippe in-house calibre 12'''-120.
Some 115 movements were upgraded for this model with the ingenious, patented world time mechanism invented by Louis Cottier, the celebrated Geneva watchmaker. Reference 1415 HU (for Heure Universelle or World Time) was available in yellow or pink gold. Only one example in platinum is known to date.
Until 1948, reference 1415 HU was only available with the classic metal dial, either silvered or more exclusively rose. During the very last years of production, an exceedingly small series was fitted with a cloisonné enamel dial.
The hand-engraved bezels show international cities around the world. Whereas earlier examples of reference 1415 HU list only 28 cities, the latest generation account for 41 locations.
Examples of reference 1415 HU, both with metal and enamel dials, are illustrated in Patek Philippe Wristwatches by Martin Huber & Alan Banbery, second edition, pp. 243 - 244, and in Patek Philippe Museum - Patek Philippe - Volume II, pp. 342 - 344.