Accompanied by Patek Philippe Extrait des Registres confirming manufacture of the present watch with Breguet numerals in 1940 and its subsequent sale on 16 July 1941.
The present watch has never been offered at auction and is believed to be one of only 8 examples of reference 96 in stainless steel with indirect centre seconds and Breguet numerals to have appeared in public to date. With its combination of several rare features such as the stainless steel case, indirect centre seconds, Breguet numerals and typical 1940s railway track or "chemin de fer" for the fifths of a second, it represents a highly attractive collector's watch.
Although the watch was originally entered in Patek Philippe's archives to have left the manufacture with a leather strap, the present bracelet is from the same period and is most certainly original to this watch, added upon request from the original owner at the date of purchase.
Production of the famous Calatrava model with reference 96 was launched in 1932. In 1972 it was replaced by reference 3796.
A similar watch is illustrated in Patek Philippe Wristwatches by Martin Huber & Alan Banbery, second edition, p. 183.