Accompanied by Patek Philippe Extract from the Archives confirming production of the present watch in 1949 with a silvered dial, raised steel hour markers and tachometer scale and its subsequent sale on 12 December 1950. Furthermore delivered with copies of Patek Philippe receipts and invoices for overhaul of the watch in 1981, 1984, 1993, 2000 and 2003.
The present watch was purchased by the late father of the actual owner directly from Patek Philippe at their Geneva flagship store in 1950. Considering the style, layout and condition of the dial it is understood that this dial was a personal and specific request of the original owner, a medical doctor. According to his family, he also used to wear the present watch while practising.
Born in Geneva in 1922, the first owner of the watch graduated as MD in 1954, specializing in internal medicine in 1962 and becoming private docent at Geneva's Medical Faculty in 1973. Practising at Geneva's University Hospital from 1952 to 1969, he created the Chirurgical Intensive Care Ward of which he was the Medical Superintendent from 1957 until 1969 when he opened his own office. He left the medical world in December 1991 at the age of 70.
This watch has always been in the same family since its original purchase and is believed to be one of only three examples of this reference in stainless steel and with pulsation dial to appear in public to date. It has been regularly overhauled in the workshops of Patek Philippe and its original owner has always looked after it in the most respectful manner.
The present stainless steel reference 130 with its highly desirable dial featuring a scale graduated for 15 pulsations is offered here for the first time publicly and is part of the very last series of this model. Examples of this model made around 1950 do no longer feature pin holes pierced through the lugs, but are now closed from the outer side. Watches from this last series are exceedingly rare. The present watch, absolutely fresh to the market, furthermore impresses with its crisp and well preserved case, its most appealing satin finish, the highly attractive and unrestored dial, and represents a rare opportunity for the demanding collector.
The production of the simple chronograph with reference 130 was launched in 1934. The model was produced in different precious metal versions as well as in stainless steel. It is interesting to know that the lugs of the stainless steel version are different from the yellow, pink or white gold ones. Their slightly thicker but shorter design gives the watch a rather tonneau-shaped design and a more sportive, robust and masculine look.