With Patek Philippe Certificate of Origin and Garantie and original fitted presentation box. Furthermore delivered with photocopies of the telex of Patek Philippe Germany dated 20 March 1984 and the letter of Patek Philippe Geneva dated 23 February 1987, both confirming the sale of the watch to Pacheco Rodrigues in 1942. The Extract from the Archives confirms its production with silvered dial, raised steel indexes and tachometer scale in 1941, subsequent sale on 17 February 1942.
The reference 130 offered here for sale is unquestionably one of the best examples of this legendary chronograph model to appear in public in recent years, combining all elements the demanding collector is looking for: the dial has never been subject to any cosmetic enhancement, highlighted by the beautifully raised hard enamel signature and scales and the attractive pearlescent patina, the result in perfect harmony with the crisp case. Free from any careless polishing it impresses with its full, sharp-edged proportions and an impeccable satin-finish.
For nearly fifty years, Patek Philippe was the only watch manufacturer using almost exclusively hand-engraved and enamelled dials, a labour intense work requiring exceptional craftsmanship, such as the present dial. It was supplied by the renowned Stern Frères in 1941, its plate of massif silver onto which the scales, numbers and letters were hand-engraved and enamelled. Its surface was then given the smooth vertical satin finish still present followed by the application of the Roman and dot numerals – the entire process again by hand, the outstanding quality allowing the final product to withstand the influence of the elements unharmed despite its over 70 years of existence.
Another noteworthy and rare feature of the present ref. 130 is the stamped hallmark on the upper left lug, the “armadillo” symbol, Portuguese assay mark for all imported non-precious metal cases – its presence to be expected since the watch was sold on 17 February 1942 to Pacheco Rodrigues & Gonçalves, retailers of fine watches in Lisbon, Portugal.
The combination of freshness to the market, superb original overall condition and the presence of the original box and certificate, rarities by themselves, render this reference 130 a truly exclusive find for the collector in quest for perfection.
Reference 130, one of Patek Philippe's landmark models, was launched in 1934 and remained in production until the 1960s. Distinguished by its timeless "Calatrava" design, the model was available in different precious metals as well as in stainless steel.
It is interesting to note that the lugs of the stainless steel version are different from the yellow, pink or white gold ones. Their slightly thicker but shorter design gives the watch a rather tonneau-shaped design and a more sportive, robust and masculine look.
Examples of ref. 130 are illustrated in Patek Philippe Wristwatches by Martin Huber and Alan Banbery, second edition, pp. 262 to 264, and in Patek Philippe Museum –Patek Philippe, Volume II, pp. 262-265.
For a detailed description and illustrations of Patek Philippe’s dial production and Stern Frères see Patek Philippe Steel Watches by John Goldberger, pp. 424 – 429.