No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 15% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.
with Delomosne & Sons Ltd., London, 30 June 1941.
The rise of Mason's Patent Ironstone into a household name had its beginnings with Miles Mason (1752-1822) and his sons in the first quarter of the 19th century and runs parallel to the early history of the Georgian house and its inhabitants at Camp Hill.
The marriage of Miles Mason to Ruth Farrer, daughter of the prosperous china and glass merchant Richard Farrer in 1782, undoubtedly paved the way for Mason's successful career in the china trade. By 1783 Miles Mason was a Freeman of the Glass Seller's Company and took livery a year later in September 1784.
His partnership with Thomas Wolfe and John Lucock at the Islington Pottery in Liverpool and his association with James Green & Limpus in London, provided him with the knowledge of porcelain making and wholesale pottery retailing necessary to make his first manufacturing venture at the Victoria Pottery, Lane Delph, a success.
By 1806, Mason had given up his retail premises in Fenchurch Street, London and had taken over larger works at Minerva, Staffordshire. In the following seven years and ably assisted by his three sons William, George Miles and Charles James Mason, his experimentation with new production techniques resulted in the patenting of Mason's 'Ironstone' Wares in 1813. The durability and strength of these new wares, coupled with their deployment of designs in the Chinese taste, ensured their lasting popularity and demand in homes both in England and further a field.
Camp Hill owes its origin to another great name in the history of British porcelain - Wedgwood. Commissioned in 1827 by Sarah Wedgwood (1776-1856) the daughter of Josiah Wedgwood I (1730-1795) the 'father of English porcelain', Camp Hill also played host to Sarah's niece Emma and her husband Charles Darwin (1809-1882). The ownership of the property passed from Sarah Wedgwood to members of the Davenport family, then at the height of their success as pottery manufacturers. The Davenports sold Camp Hill to Captain Ewart Scott Grogan (1874-1967) before it came into the hands of the Goddard family in 1937.
John Shaw Goddard (1857-1939) purchased Mason's in 1883, and in the spirit of Miles Mason more than a century before him, was succeeded by his son John Vivian Goddard in 1919. Between the death of Charles James Mason and John Vivian Goddard's ownership of the company, Mason's traded under various different names. It was John Vivian and his son, Jim (John) Stringer Goddard who reinstated the family name of 'Mason's Ironstone' and oversaw the company joining The Wedgwood Group in 1973. Jim Goddard owned Camp Hill with his sister Anne Patricia Clive.
The Goddard family - as restorers of 'Mason's' as a trading name, owners of Camp Hill and collectors of the fine pictures, works of art, furniture, porcelain and ceramics offered for sale here - bind together the threads of these histories. The Collection offers a fascinating and personal insight into the history of Mason's and of ceramics in this country within the broader context of the rise of Stafford County as a centre of porcelain production.