The Prince of Wales visited Merseyside in 1806 and ordered this service after being impressed by an identical version made for a lavish dinner he attended. Only the crest was changed on the new order, from the Liver Bird to the Prince of Wales feathers. The service is housed at Windsor Castle, with just a few pieces in private collections and museums.
Cf. Charles R. Hajdamach, British Glass 1800-1914 (Woodbridge, 1991), p. 41, pl. 22. Similar sherry-glasses were sold Christie's London, 2 November 1998, lots 4 and 5.