The sugar urn was made for a member of the Cooper family of Boston, and descended to the present owner through:
Capt. William P.S. Sanger (b. May 26, 1810), of Boston
Elizabeth Sanger, married John Seton Johns (b. December 22, 1835), of Washington, D.C.
William Sanger Johns (b. 25 December 1862), of Georgetown, D.C., thence by descent to the present owner
Capt. William P.S. Sanger was the U.S. Navy's first civil engineer and the father of the modern Civil Engineer Corps. A Bostonian by birth, he moved to Norfolk, Virginia, where at age 17 he became Resident Engineer at the Gosport Navy Yard in Portsmouth. He was responsible for the building of the Gosport stone dry dock, the Navy's first dry dock in the United States, completed in 1833. Sanger served as an engineer for the U.S. Navy for nearly 55 years, and was responsible for the founding of the Civil Engineer Corps through an Act of Congress in 1867.
PROPERTY OF A DESCENDANT OF THE ORIGINAL OWNER