Heinrich von Bibra, Prince Bishop of Fulda, Archchancellor to the Holy Roman Empress, was ruler of Fulda from 1759 to 1788 and the factory's proprietor and principal patron. The entwined monogram refers to his title Heinricus Episcopus Abbas Princeps Fuldensis, and the cup and saucer were almost certainly made to commemorate the silver anniversary of his rule in 1784. A series of biscuit portaits were produced (see the Meinertzhagen Collection of Fulda Porcelain sold in these Rooms on 3rd March 1986, lot 1) after an engraving by Ludwig Franz Weinbörner, to which the portrait on the present lot is similar, though displaying a different costume.
See Christoph Fritzsche and Gregor Karl Stasch, Hochfürstlich Fuldische Porzellainmanfaktur 1764-1789, Vondreau-Museum, Fulda, June-August 1994 Exhibtion Catalogue (Fulda, 1994), cat. no. 54 for a cup painted with an identical portrait of the Prince attributed to Peter Joseph Angelé.