This Blue John 'mantelpiece garniture' urn reflects the later 18th century Pompeian Etruscan fashion for room decoration with Grecian urns and Roman vases instead of Chinese porcelain. Evoking sacrifices at love's altar in antiquity, the ovoid plinth-supported urn of Derbyshire amethystine fluorspar is of festive wine-krater form, gadrooned by 'Pan' reeds and wreathed by a lily-white ribbon that is sculpted in bas-relief with wave-scrolls in Vitruvian manner. Its 'altar' pedestal, of appropriately wave-figured purple spar, stands on a Grecian Etruscan black base and is likewise enriched with white 'marble' mouldings. Manufactures from the Blue John mines in Treak Cliff, near Castleton, were increasingly popularized by the George III 'Roman' fashion for Columbaria vase-chambers introduced during the 1760s. It is likely to have formed part of the furnishings of Stoneleigh, Warwickshire introduced by Thomas Leigh, 5th Baron Leigh (d. 1786). A closely related oval shaped urn with Vitruvian scroll ribbon is illustrated Alexandra Sitwell, Derbyshire Blue John, 1990, fig. 9.