The inscription translates as:
as long as lions blood streams in swans' veins
and our faithful breast is filled with life's juice
so long will the wish be heard to the ceiling of the sky
Live hereditary prince Ludwig with
prince and princesses
Office of Lemberg
The town of Lemberg formed part of the land which in 1736 passed from the Counts of Hanau-Lichtenberg to the Princes of Hesse, whose houses are symbolised by the swan and the lion respectively. This glass was most probably a gift of allegiance from the burgher of Lemberg to Ludwig VIII of Hesse-Darmstadt.