Nawab Abdul al-Latif Khan Bahadur (1828-1893) was a nineteenth century Bengali educator and social worker. The first Muslim member of the Bengal Legislative Council in 1862, Abdul Latif was a Fellow of Calcutta University and a founder of the Mahomedan Literary Society in 1863. He was awarded the title of Khan Bahadur in 1877 and Nawab Bahadur in 1887.
This bowl was made in the same year, 1875-76, as a bowl presented by the same individual, Aqa Muhammad al-Husayn al-Shirazi, to the Maharaja of Gwalior (see Christie's, London, 14 October 1997, lot 207.) The present lot was almost certainly a gift to commemorate the awarding of the title Khan Bahadur to Abdul al-Latif in 1877.