Founded in Vienna in 1822 by Josef Lobmeyr (1792-1855), a glazier from Grieskirchen near Linz, J. & L. Lobmeyr (named after Josef's sons Josef and Ludwig), was amongst the glassmakers who showed a strong interest in Islamic glass, following the contemporary fashion for historicism. It was under Ludwig's direction that the company turned its attention to enamel painting and Islamic style ornamentation. This vase belongs to the Arabian series, designed by the architects Johann Machytka and Franz Schmoranz. The series was first exhibited in the Exposition Universelle in Paris in 1878.
Two Lobmeyr glass vases from the same series were sold in these Rooms, 6 October 2009, lots 288 and 289.