• Christies auction house James Christie logo

    Sale 12975

    Noble & Private Collections Part I

    2 November 2016, London, King Street

  • Lot 143

    A MEISSEN OZIER-MOULDED EWER AND SHAPED OVAL BASIN

    CIRCA 1745, BLUE CROSSED SWORDS MARK, BASIN WITH PRESSNUMMER 25

    Price Realised  

    Estimate

    A MEISSEN OZIER-MOULDED EWER AND SHAPED OVAL BASIN
    CIRCA 1745, BLUE CROSSED SWORDS MARK, BASIN WITH PRESSNUMMER 25
    Painted with scenes of gallants in companions in riverside landscapes within gilt quatrefoil cartouches
    The basin - 11 ¾ in. (29.5) cm. wide


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    Contact the department


    Provenance

    The Property of a Lady, sale Christie's, London, 29 November 1973, lot 126.


    Pre-Lot Text

    PROPERTY FROM THE FALCK COLLECTION (LOTS 128–145)

    The following lots (lots 128 – 145) are from the collection formed by Alberto Falck (1938-2003) and his wife, Cecilia Collalto Giustiniani (1941-2015). Cecilia had porcelain ‘in the blood’, as she was from the noble Venetian family which had ordered the famous Meissen armorial service for their palazzo in the mid-18th century. The couple lived in Milan, and for many years Alberto was President of the Milanese private steel company Acciaierie e Ferriere Lombarde Falck, which was founded by his great, great grandfather in 1833.
    Alberto was a profound lover of the Arts, collecting among other things, manuscripts and ancient Roman glass, and he began collecting Meissen after marrying his wife in 1969. He was particularly drawn to the whiteness and hardness of Meissen porcelain, and was fascinated by the endless forms of objects that were produced, from snuf-boxes, vases or wares to models of animals. Cecilia was fascinated by the detail of the decoration, and how the decorative styles at Meissen evolved during the 18th century. They collected together, beginning with models of birds acquired from a dealer in Milan. After acquiring the models of swans in Venice from the sale of a Rothschild collection in 1977, the collection grew in earnest. As their passion grew, the breadth of the collection began to include pieces from other 18th century manufactories, such as du Paquier in Vienna, or decorative Dutch Delft pieces.