The Berlin Konigliche Porzellan Manufaktur, known as KPM, was founded in the first half of the 18th century and, after financial difficulties, was taken over by Frederick the Great in 1763. Royal participation in the factory continued with particular interest being shown by Friedrich Wilhelm III (1777-1840) whos royal patronage, together with growing demand from an increasingly wealthy middle class, provided it with a solid base in the early 19th century.
The design for this clock garniture and another long-case example sold at Christie's London, 1 November 2001, lot 54 are characteristic of Alexander Kips, artistic director at the Manufactory. The exuberant flower modeling, rocaille scrolls and putti typical of the Neo-Rococo style are fully exhibited in the present lot. Kaiser Wilhelm II (1859-1941) is known to have favored this style, decorating the Neue Palais in the fashion. He is also recorded as presenting a Neo-Rococo long case clock to his grandmother, Queen Victoria, that was placed at Osborne House circa 1895, where it remains to this day. The massive scale and monogram on the present example are likely attributes of a royal or diplomatic order.
Franz Aulich (Silesian 1852 - ), is recorded at the Berlin (K.P.M.) manufactory as a flower painter c. 1888.
A clock of the same form was sold by Live Auctioneers, 11 February 2007, lot 1248.