The Maison Alphonse Giroux was established in 1799 by François-Simon-Alphonse Giroux (d.1848), with premises at 7, rue du Coq-Saint-Honoré, Paris. Specialising in the production and sale of small items of furniture, 'objets d'art, de fantaisie et de papeterie', the firm was responsible for the bedroom suite supplied to Charles X in 1826. In 1838, the company was taken over by Giroux's two sons, Alphonse-Gustave (d.1886) and André (d.1874), who under the name of Giroux & Cie, continued and expanded the business, showing and frequently winning medals at the Exposition des produits de l'industrie française. In 1857, the business relocated to 43, boulevard des Capucines, where it remained until 1867 when it was taken over by Duvinage and Harinckouk. Production continued under Ferdinand Duvinage (d.1874) and then the latter's widow, Rosalie, who in 1877 patented the form of marquetry employing ivory, various woods and 'cloisonnement métallique', as seen here.