This crest was granted to Dr. John Hutton in 1692. Although born into poverty he acquired a fine education through the patronage of the Episcopalian Minister at Caerlaverock for whom he had worked as a shepherd boy. After graduating from Padua University he happened to be nearby, and came to the assistance of, Mary Stuart, later Queen Mary, when she fell from her horse. This led to King William appointing him as his first physician. He was later also physician-general to the army. He became a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians in 1697 and was M.P. for Dumfries from 1710 to 1712. Hutton died at Somerset House at the home of his cousin Thomas Hutton, who was Keeper of Somerset House. It is probable that the sauceboats belonged to a descendant of Thomas Hutton.