• Christies auction house James Christie logo

    Sale 7441

    Important Silver

    29 November 2007, London, King Street

  • Lot 536

    A PAIR OF GEORGE III OLD SHEFFIELD PLATE WINE-COOLERS

    UNMARKED, CIRCA 1800

    Price Realised  

    A PAIR OF GEORGE III OLD SHEFFIELD PLATE WINE-COOLERS
    UNMARKED, CIRCA 1800
    Partly fluted campana shaped and on spreading circular foot, with two reeded bracket handles with vine terminals, with fluted everted rim, detachable plain liner and similar collar, the side applied twice with a shaped oval foliage cartouche engraved with a crest below a baron's coronet
    9¾ in. (24.5 cm.) high
    The crest is that of Pennant, for Richard, 1st Baron Penrhyn (d.1808). (2)


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    Richard Pennant was the son of a Liverpool merchant who founded his fortune on sugar plantations and inherited estates in Jamaica. He owned 8,000 acres of sugar plantations and over 600 slaves. He was MP for Liverpool 1767-80 and 1784-90 and spoke forcibly against the campaign to abolish the slave trade. He devoted much of the profits of his plantations to developing the Penrhyn estate and slate quarries of North Wales. He also set about improving transport links from the quarries to the newly established port of Port Penrhyn. He was created Baron Penrhyn in the peerage of Ireland in 1793. He rebuilt the medieval house at Penrhyn using the architect Samuel Wyatt. He died in 1808, leaving his property to his cousin, George Hay Dawkins (1764-1840), who inherited the estate following the death of Lady Penrhyn in 1816. Under the leadership of Dawkins-Pennant, the Penrhyn estate would grow to become one of the most powerful landowners and the leading slate-producing concern in North Wales.

    Special Notice

    VAT rate of 5% is payable on hammer price and at 15% on the buyer's premium


    Pre-Lot Text

    THE PROPERTY FROM A SWISS PRIVATE COLLECTION