Established in 1789, Green & Ward quickly rose to rival the firm of Rundell & Bridge by the turn of the century. Paul Storr worked for them first in the 1780s. The firm supplied the Wellington Shield, designed by Thomas Stothard and made by Benjamin Smith in 1822, which was presented to the Duke of Wellington by the merchants and bankers of London. Green & Ward also supplied the silver-gilt candelabra of 1816, made by Benjamin Smith, to the Duke of Wellington. Both are now at Apsley House, Hyde Park Corner, London (J. Culme, Nineteenth-century Silver, London, 1977, p. 60-61).