This pair of vases may well have originally been part of a five-piece garniture, with a third vase and cover and two beaker vases. See the garniture on detachable stands, with almost identical vases and covers, which were in 1879 in the collection of the Rt. Hon. The Earl of Lonsdale, and which sold in these Rooms, 30 October 1961, lot 12; the garniture is illustrated by A. du Boulay, Christie's Pictorial History of Chinese Ceramics, Oxford, 1984, p. 268, fig. 1. A single vase, without cover but with ormolu mounts sold in these Rooms, 16 December 1996, lot 306.