The manufacture formed by the partnership between Joseph Fabri and Franois-Paul Urtzschneider started producing ceramics in 1792 at Sarreguemines (Moselle). Under the direction of Alexander de Geiger, the factory underwent great expansion. By 1864 his son Paul de Geiger had become the technical director at the manufactory and is noted for developing a line of vases in the Renaissance revival taste. For a similar pair of silvered-bronze sang-de-boeuf vases gilt with rampant lions see Christie's, New York, 31 October 2000, lot 178. For a pair of Sarreguemines simulated porphyry vases see Christie's, London 7 December 2006, lot 16.