• Christies auction house James Christie logo

    Sale 12975

    Noble & Private Collections Part I

    2 November 2016, London, King Street

  • Lot 128

    A PAIR OF MEISSEN MINIATURE TWO-HANDLED ARMORIAL VASES FROM THE SWAN SERVICE

    CIRCA 1740, TRACES OF BLUE CROSSED SWORDS MARKS

    Price Realised  

    Estimate

    A PAIR OF MEISSEN MINIATURE TWO-HANDLED ARMORIAL VASES FROM THE SWAN SERVICE
    CIRCA 1740, TRACES OF BLUE CROSSED SWORDS MARKS
    Modelled by J.J. Kändler with the assistance of J.F. Eberlein, painted with Count Brühl's coat-of-arms
    3 ¾ in. (9.5 cm.) high


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    Contact the department

    The Swan Service was made for Heinrich Graf von Brühl (1700-1763), Prime Minister of Saxony and Director of the Meissen factory from 1733-63. Count Brühl commissioned the service in 1737 on the occasion of his marriage to Maria Anna Franziska von Kolowrat-Krakowska. The moulded decoration (a play on the word Brühl, meaning 'watery') was carried out by J.J. Kändler with the assistance of J.F. Eberlein, and Kändler began work on the larger pieces for the service in the summer of 1737. It would appear to be the largest service produced in the 18th century and Rainer Rückert (Meissener Porzellan 1710-1810, Munich, 1966, p. 118) estimates its original size to have been between 2,200 and 2,400 pieces. The service remained in the possession of the Brühl family until after the Second World War. For an extensive discussion of the Swan service see Walter Fellman et al., Schwanen service, Meissener Porzellan für Heinrich Graf von Brühl, Exhibition Catalogue, Dresden, 2000.

    Provenance

    Heinrich Count Brühl, Schloss Pförten, and thence by descent until after the Second World War.


    Pre-Lot Text

    PROPERTY FROM THE FALCK COLLECTION (LOTS 128–145)

    The following lots (lots 128 – 145) are from the collection formed by Alberto Falck (1938-2003) and his wife, Cecilia Collalto Giustiniani (1941-2015). Cecilia had porcelain ‘in the blood’, as she was from the noble Venetian family which had ordered the famous Meissen armorial service for their palazzo in the mid-18th century. The couple lived in Milan, and for many years Alberto was President of the Milanese private steel company Acciaierie e Ferriere Lombarde Falck, which was founded by his great, great grandfather in 1833.

    Alberto was a profound lover of the Arts, collecting among other things, manuscripts and ancient Roman glass, and he began collecting Meissen after marrying his wife in 1969. He was particularly drawn to the whiteness and hardness of Meissen porcelain, and was fascinated by the endless forms of objects that were produced, from snuf-boxes, vases or wares to models of animals. Cecilia was fascinated by the detail of the decoration, and how the decorative styles at Meissen evolved during the 18th century. They collected together, beginning with models of birds acquired from a dealer in Milan. After acquiring the models of swans in Venice from the sale of a Rothschild collection in 1977, the collection grew in earnest. As their passion grew, the breadth of the collection began to include pieces from other 18th century manufactories, such as du Paquier in Vienna, or decorative Dutch Delft pieces.