Solon's Illustrated Journal records the present pair as worked on between the 11th of August and the 11th of September 1891. The margin records a minimum of 60 days of combined labour.
See Bernard Bumpus, Pâte-sur-Pâte, The Art of Ceramic Relief Decoration, 1849-1992, London, 1992, p. 136 for a pair of the same form, dated 1891, titled 'Poisson et Oiseau', noted as purchased by Phillips of Oxford Street. For this pair also see Joan Jones, Minton, Two Hundred Years of Design & Production, Shrewsbury, 1993, p. 198 and The Minton Vases 1999 Calendar, November.
See the archival index on page 58 for a period photograph of the present lot.
The present pair of vases was formerly in the collection of Louis Winans of Brighton, England, the son of a Baltimore, Maryland railroad engineer who helped supervise the construction of the first commercial railroad from St. Petersburg to Moscow. He was also the one time owner of the legendary 'Agra Diamond' and 'The Golden Drop'.