The presentation of this flagon to St. Alkmonds is recorded by H. Owen and J. B. Blakeway, The History of Shrewsbury, Shrewsbury, 1825, p. 285 as 'Thomas Biggs, Draper, a larger silver flagon for the sacrament: he had before given a carpet for the table, and in 1714 he gave a larger silver plate for the sacrament, the homilies, and the works of the author of the Whole Duty of Man'
St Alkmond was a Prince of the Royal house of Northumberland, son of Alhred of Northumbria. He spend many years, during the Northumbrian dynastic struggles, in exile with the Picts before returning home with an army. Not long after his return he was murdered, sometime around 800, near the modern city of Derby. A local cult was quickly established and six churches were dedicated in his name. St Alkmond's Shrewsbury, from with the three followings lots come, was probably founded circa 912 by Aethelfleda, daughter of King Alfred.