12 - 13 October 2009,
London, King Street
Price realised GBP 10,625
Estimate GBP 8,000 - GBP 10,000
A rare porcelain covered bouillon-bowl addition from the Service of the Order of St George
by the Imperial Porcelain Factory, St Petersburg, period of Catherine II, 1780-1790s
Circular, on raised foot, the bowl with the painted ribbon of the Order, the cross of the Order, with entwined foliate garland, the domed cover similarly decorated, with a flower finial, marked under base with blue underglaze cypher 'E II' with painted gold star and incised '2; 6'
5¾ in. (14.4 cm.) diameter
New York +1 212 636 2000
London +44 (0)20 7839 9060
Hong Kong +852 2760 1766
Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766
Alexis de Tiesenhausen
Tel: +44 (0)20 7389 2210
All additions to the service were made by the Imperial Porcelain Factory from the end of the 18th century and during the 19th century. The forms from the original Gardner service were used again, together with the new ones. In this particular case, the small covered bowl has a highly characteristic detail of the porcelain produced by the Imperial Porcelain factory between 1780s-90s: a finial in the shape of an apple which was used as decoration for the covers of kvas jugs.
No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 15% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.
Masterpieces of 18th c..., number 155.