In 1811, the merchant F. A. Deviatov built a porcelain factory in the Vyborgskii region of St Petersburg. Three years later, the merchant F. S. Batenin took it over. The name Batenin was adopted, not only for the enterprise, but also for the place where the factory was situated, in Batenin side-street. By 1818, Batenin was able to open up his own shop on Nevskii Prospect by the Cathedral of Our Lady of Kazan. After Batenin's death in 1830, the traditional porcelain decoration moved towards the chinoiserie style. The factory closed in 1838.