• Christies auction house James Christie logo

    Sale 1958

    The Hodroff Collection, Part II Chinese Export Porcelain From The Collection Of Leo & Doris Hodroff

    23 January 2008, New York, Rockefeller Plaza

  • Lot 358

    A ROCOCO ARMORIAL TUREEN, COVER AND STAND

    QIANLONG PERIOD

    Price Realised  

    A ROCOCO ARMORIAL TUREEN, COVER AND STAND
    QIANLONG PERIOD
    Modelled after the silver or faience shape with undulating rim and claw-like frond handles, the finial and four legs formed as scrolls, both sides of the cover and tureen enamelled with the arms of Carl Frederic von Holstein and Dorothea Anna Marrethe Ahlefeldt, one side with an Order of the Elephant chain, decorated allover with flower sprigs, the stand en suite
    16 in. (40.6 cm.) wide, the stand (3)


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    Carl Frederic von Holstein was born in Stockholm in 1700 and died in 1763. He was the official representative of the Admirality and Minister in Russia under Christian VI (1699-1746), King of Denmark. In 1752 he was made Knight of the Elephant Order. The Order of the Elephant is the highest order in Denmark and is traditionally reserved for members of the royal family, but at times bestowed upon foreign heads of state. In this instance the honor is particularly notable because von Holstein was neither. The other set of arms are those of his second wife, Margrethe von Ahlefeld (1712-58).

    For other examples see de Noordhout, Porcelains chinoises 'Compagnie des Indes' décorées d'armoiries belges, Brussels, 1997, p. 86-7; Beurdeley, Porcelain of the East India Company, Fribourg, 1962, p. 49, fig. 23; Howard and Ayers, op. cit., vol. II, pp. 552-3, pl. 571; and Du Boulay, Christie's Pictorial History of Chinese Ceramics, Englewood, New Jersey, 1984, p. 280, no. 3 sold in these Rooms, 1 March 1976, lot 7; and Christie's, Amsterdam, 19 May 1993, lot 194.

    The shape was probably based on a silver prototype which was then copied in faience at several European factories including Strasbourg, Crailsheim, Nuremberg and Höchst.