The Imperial Yacht Alexandria0was built in England for the Emperor Nicholas I in 1851 and continued to serve as an Imperial Yacht until the reign of the Emperor Nicholas II. The service of the Imperial Yacht 'Alexandria' was produced around 1851 but the additions were being made until the beginning of the 20th century. All pieces are decorated with the seal of Alexandria Park in Peterhof echoing the pieces from the Imperial service at the Cottage Palace, but the decoration differs in that the border is blue not gold.
The Imperial yacht Tsarevna [Daughter of the Tsar] was a smaller yacht. It was also built in England for the Emperor Alexander II but was mainly used by his successor and his wife Maria Feodorovna for short trips off the coast around St. Petersburg and holiday trips to Finland. All pieces from the yachts service were inscribed with the blue Cyrillic inscription Tsarevna and white porcelain pieces with blue borders additionally were decorated with blue cypher A.
The Imperial yacht Derzhava [Orb] was ordered for the Emperor Alexander II and was launched in 1871. The present coffee-pot comes from the second service for the Imperial yacht, conceived by the architect and professor of the Academy of Arts in St. Petersburg Ippolito A. Monigetti (1819-1878), who was also responsible for the interiors of the yacht. Created between 1883-1887 and recorded with the name 'Imperial Service Derzhava No 2', all the pieces were decorated with an orb and crossed flags of St. Andrew and a jack. The additions to the service were produced until the 20th century.
The Imperial yacht Polarnaya Zvezda [Polar Star] was built between 1888-1890 at the Baltic Shipyard in St. Petersburg for the Emperor Alexander III. It was used as the personal yacht of the Empress Marie Feodorovna who frequently used the yacht to visit her relatives in Denmark and England. The Tsarevich Nicholas Aleksandrovich (later Nicholas II) also used this yacht on a grand tour prior to his marriage. The service, designes around 1888, was decorated with the seal of the Russian Empire, a double-headed eagle with wide-spread wings, holding in his claws and orb and scepter.
The Imperial yacht Standart was the most famous and impressive of all Imperial yachts. The pieces of the service in this lot come from the Standart yacht built in 1895. The yacht followed two other Imperial yachts of the same name built earlier for the Emperor Peter the Great (1703) and Alexander II (1857). The name Standart referred to the banner of the Imperial Russian family flyingg on the vessel. The pieces from the service are all decorated with a depiction of the Imperial standart as designed by M. Putyatin. Additions were produced throughout the end of the 19th century and at the beginning of the 20th.