Robert, 2nd Earl Grosvenor
Educated at Harrow and Trinity College, Oxford, Lord Grosvenor twice went on the Grand Tour. He had a successful political career, becoming a Lord of the Admiralty in 1789 and a commissioner of the Board of Control in 1793. He was a keen follower of the turf and owned some of the most famous horses of the day. Lord Grosvenor is best remembered however for his development of his London estates, now called Belgravia, under the architectural direction of Thomas Cubitt (1788-1855).
Soon after he became 2nd Earl Grosvenor in 1802, he began to extensively rebuild Eaton Hall, Cheshire. It is during this period that Lord Grosvenor commissioned an extensive service from Rundell & Bridge. The Rundell's invoice, dated October 18, 1804, lists a pair of soup tureens on sphinx feet, weighing more than 1,000 ounces, as well as meat dishes, oval entrée dishes, vegetable, cassarole [sic], and second course dishes, eight dozen plates, two dozen soup plates, and a large flatware service, all engraved with his crest and coronet. A set of four entrée Dishes, two oblong and two cushion-shaped, with covers and stands, described in the Rundell's invoice as two of '4 elegant gadroon'd pincushion shaped dishes with dome covers' which cost £199.18.2 to make, and two of '4 d[itt]o oblong dishes and covers to suit...' which cost £176.5.7 were sold Christie's New York, 19 October 2001, lot 235.