Ambroise Louis Garneray (1783-1857) is recorded both as a quartermaster and as a maritime painter. From the age of 13 he led a mariners life. In 1806 during a raid, he was captured by the British and spent eight years in Plymouth. Upon his return to France, his work was exhibited at the Paris Solon of 1815. In 1817, he was appointed painter to the Duke d'Angouleme and the official painter to the Navy. In the 1830's he was named director of the Rouen Museum and subsequently invited by Alexandre Brongniart to execute maritime paintings on porcelain.
The Fisheries Service dates between 1839-1852. All of the pieces are painted by Garneray and are based on his renderings. In 1840 a portion of the service was presented to the Louvre for Exposition and again in 1842. The service was subsequently divided between l'hippodrome de Dieppe, le comité des Courses d'Avranches, le ministère de la Marine, Baron Taylor and the Sèvres Museum. Currently Sèvres conserves four examples, three of which are from this division and another two are held at the Louvre.
See Marie-Noëlle Pinot de Villechenon, Sèvres Porcelain from the Sèvres Museum 1740 to the Present Day, London, 1993, p. 82 for an example located at the Sèvres Museum (MNC 7,608) and Cyrille Froissart, Hôtel Drouot, Etude Piasa, 30 May 2007, salle 5 for another example and a detailed history of this service.
Also see Samuel Wittwer, Raffinesse & Eleganz, Köngliche Porzellane des frühen 19. Jarhunderts aus der Twinight Collection New York, Munich, 2007, cat. no. 142a and 142b for other examples.