The present lot exhibits the characteristic spiraled pearling of Tiffany designer Charles Osborne. Impressed with the work and vision of Edward C. Moore, Osborne was lured away from his post as chief designer at Whiting Manufacturing Company to take a design position at Tiffany in 1878.
In 1880, Moore showed his designers a Japanese sword sheath with a chasing technique called pearling, in which round pearl-like domes are chased into silver in swirling rows. Osborne's designs for silver began to exhibit this pearling, as in the present lot. For other examples of pearling in Osborne's Tiffany designs, see a tea caddy, coffee pot and ewer, illustrated in John Loring, Magnificent Tiffany Silver, 2001, pp. 173, 176 and 178.