This lot is offered without reserve.
No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 15% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.
Benham & Froud c1855-1924, flourished at Chandos St, London, described in the local registry as general metal workers, art metal workers and lamp manufacturers. The famous 'orb' was adopted because the firm made the present cross on the dome of St Paul's Cathedral in 1821 and it could be seen from the shop in London. An orb may also have been used by other makers. Interestingly, it also represents and inverted 'ankh', the Greek symbol for copper.
The following brief notes are derived from work by John Hardcastle:
In 1785 John Kepp set up as a coppersmith and brazier in Chandos Street, London. Around 1818 the company was in the names of Richard and Edward Kepp. In 1821 they made the replacement orb and cross for St. Pauls Cathedral 23ft high and weighing seven tons. The orb and cross trademark was used from 1855 to 1924. In 1855 the company was taken over by Herbert Augustus Benham, Joseph Froud and four others, becoming known as Benham & Froud. In 1906 it was reformed as Herbert Benham & Co. in Marlborough Mews, Great Marlborough Street London W., moving to Ramillies Place, London in 1920 and not found in directories after 1924.