• Christies auction house James Christie logo

    Sale 7686

    Highly Important Silver from the Collection of Lord Harris of Peckham

    25 November 2008, London, King Street

  • Lot 11

    A VICTORIAN PARCEL-GILT SILVER TABLE-BELL

    MARK OF ROBERT GARRARD, LONDON, 1849

    Price Realised  

    Estimate

    A VICTORIAN PARCEL-GILT SILVER TABLE-BELL
    MARK OF ROBERT GARRARD, LONDON, 1849
    The domed bell cast with four vacant cartouches, each separated by an insect capped bead and scroll mask, the baluster handle cast with scrolls and fruits and capped by putto supporting a basket of fruit, marked on side and on clapper
    5¼ in. (13.2 cm.) high
    10 oz. (323 gr.)
    The inscription reads 'Given by Queen Victoria to Sarah Lady Lyttleton and from her it came to Francis Anne wife of W. H. Pole Carew of Anthony April 1870.'


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    Lady Lyttleton (1787-1870) was the eldest daughter of George, 2nd Earl Spencer (1758-1834). She married the Hon. William Lyttleton, later 3rd Baron Lyttleton (1782-1837) in 1813. The year she was widowed she was made lady of the bed chamber to the young Queen Victoria. In 1842 she became governess to the royal children. In 1850 after her grandchildren were orphaned she returned to Hagley, the family seat. She was remembered for her sweet manner and her religious nature.

    Special Notice

    No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 15% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.


    Provenance

    Given by Queen Victoria to Sarah, Lady Lyttleton, widow of William, 3rd Baron Lyttelton (1782-1837), passing on her death in April 1870 to her niece by marriage.
    Frances Anne (d.1902), wife of William Henry Carew-Pole (1811-1888), second daughter of John Buller of Morval.
    with Richard Jarvis, London.


    Pre-Lot Text

    HIGHLY IMPORTANT SILVER FROM THE COLLECTION OF LORD HARRIS OF PECKHAM