The 'Jeu L'Echarpe' suite was began as a series of ten terracotta dancers that were exhibited at the Salon de la Société Nationale des Beaux Arts, 1897. It was seen by Alexander Sanglier the artistic director of Sèvres and inspired him to commission a set for production in biscuit porcelain. The group of fifteen figures have acquired individual names over time by which they can be distinguished. Each figure wears a flowing pleated dress in the spirit of Art Nouveau and can be seen as a study in movement and drapery. Whilst each individual has a distinctive character and pose, they possess a rhythm and harmony that contributes to the unity of the whole. A group formed a centrepiece at the Exposition Universelle Paris, 1900, and sets were offered as diplomatic gifts to Nicolas II and Alexandra Fedovorna, Emperor and Empress of Russia. They were later cast in bronze by the Susse Frères foundry.